Ondokuz Mayıs University Faculty of Health Sciences Department of Nutrition and Dietetics was established in the 2009-2010 academic year and started education in the same year with 25 students from the additional quota. It gave its first graduates at the end of the 2012-2013. Under the increasing demand every year, the number of students increases, and we have 478 students in the 2020-2021 academic year. Our department continues its education in modern classrooms and practice laboratories in its new building settled in the university campus. In the department, 13 staff are employed, including five instructors, three lecturers, six research assistants, four in our department, and two appointed to other universities. The Nutrition and Dietetics Program provides vocational education to male and female students to enter the department with the quantitative score they have obtained in the "University Selection and Placement Exams" from high schools and equivalent vocational high schools. The language of the program is Turkish.
AIMS and MAIN PROPERTIES of the PROGRAM
Research and consultancy services follow international standards to contribute to adequate and balanced nutrition for the protection, improvement, and development of individuals and society's health and to increase the quality of life to provide education. The first phase of the education and training program includes primary sciences, medicine, and nutrition sciences, which are the basis for dietetics applications. The courses in the second stage are directly related to the field of practice. Students apply the knowledge they have learned in studies associated with therapeutic and collective nutrition services in hospitals and other institutions. With this program's practice in health institutions and various businesses in the field, the student gains and develops the principle, conceptual knowledge, and skills required for the dietitian profession. Students who complete the department's courses are entitled to the "Nutrition and Dietetics Undergraduate Diploma" and the "Dietician" title. Successful students of nutrition and dietetics programs can also continue their master's and doctoral education in health sciences and social sciences. A dietician is included in the Health Services Class such as Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, and other similar professions in the international profession classification. The Department of Nutrition and Dietetics determines the nutritional status of the society and evaluates the problems and priorities, seeks, recommends and implements solutions to improve the nutritional level of the country, determines the country's nutritional plans and policies, analysis the food, determines the nutritional requirements of different age groups, applies disease-specific diets. It is a department that plans and conducts practices and research in various fields, such as the management and organization of food service organizations that provide institutional food systems. In addition to being academicians, graduates work as researchers, educators, rehabilitators in Inpatient Treatment Institutions, Child and Elderly Nursing Homes, Community Health Centers, Diet Polyclinics. Besides, graduates can work as researchers and educators in private or public institutions related to food and nutrition and in other institutions that organize institutional food systems. A dietician who graduate from our school becomes member of the Turkey Dietetic Association founded in 1969. The association is a member of the European Federation of Dietetic Associations (EFAD). Every year, "Dietitians Day" is celebrated on the 6th of June.
PROGRAM INITIATIVE AND BASIC CHARACTERISTICS
To provide education, research and consultancy services in accordance with international standards in order to contribute to adequate and balanced nutrition for the protection, improvement, improvement and improvement of quality of life of individual and community. The first stage of vocational education and training program includes basic sciences, medicine and nutrition sciences, which are essential for their dietetic applications. The second stage is directly related to the field of application. In addition to the theoretical teaching and practice in the class, the student In hospitals and other organisations, they apply the information they have learned in the course in relation to the management of therapeutic and collective nutrition services, community health. The students gain and develop the principles, concepts, knowledge and skills necessary for the profession of dietitians in the field, in the health institutions, and in various enterprises. Students who have successfully completed the courses required by the department are entitled to receive the "Dietitian" title with the "Nutrition and Dietetics Graduate Diploma". Successful students may continue their postgraduate and doctorate studies in the fields of nutrition and dietetics as well as health sciences and social sciences. The dietitian is included in the Health Services Class, along with other professions such as Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing and the like in the international occupational class. Nutrition and Dietetics Department aims to determine the nutritional status of the community and to identify and evaluate the problems and priorities, to search for solutions for the improvement of the nutritional level of the country, to determine the nutritional and nutrition plans and policies of the country, nutrient analyzes, to determine the nutritional requirements of different age groups, organising and implementing diets, planning and conducting research and applications in various areas such as the management and organisation of food service in organisations that provide mass nutrition services. In addition to the academicians, they serve as researchers, educators, therapists and rehabilitators in kindergartens, children and elderly nursing homes, maternal and child health, community health and special diet policlinics. In addition, graduates can also work as a manager, researcher and educator in private or public institutions related to nutrition and nutrition in other public institutions. Dietitians who graduate from our school, can become members of ‘Turkey Dietetic Association’ founded in 1969. The association is a member of the European Federation of Dietetic Associations (EFAD). Every year June 6 is celebrated as "Dietitians Day".
To graduate dietitians who are respectful to the country and world culture, who have universal ideas and values following the qualifications determined within the framework of international standards to protect and improve the health of the society with adequate and balanced nutrition throughout life and to increase the quality of life, EDUCATION-TEACHING, RESEARCH, and CONSULTANCY at international standards based on science and technology to provide services.
To ensure the application of nutritional science principles in health and disease situations, to conduct education, research, and continuous improvement in this direction. To be nationally and internationally recognized, preferred, ever-evolving, exemplary and leading department with the scientific studies and consultancy services provided by its well-equipped graduates, we represent our department, university, and country at the highest level.
Academic Year: 4 years Score Type: Numeric
Fields of Service of Graduated Dietitians: Inpatient and Outpatient Treatment Institutions
Working Areas for Graduate Dietitians
Inpatient and Outpatient Treatment Institutions Kidney Diseases Care Units Diabetes Treatment and Care Units Metabolic Diseases Units Nutrition Support Groups Oncology Units Rehabilitation Units Transplantation Units Cardiology Units
Public Health Family Health Centers District Health Directorates Mother and Child Health Centers Slimming Centers Media Worker Health Centers Sports Complexes and Sports Halls Elderly Care Homes Child Protection Institutions School Nutrition Education Programs Food Production and Marketing Services Food Control Laboratories International Food and Nutrition Organizations
Institutional Food Systems Schools Nurseries Hotels Nursing Homes Food Factories Public Institutions Air Transportation Services Maritime Transportation Services Railway Transportation Services Restaurants Health Institutions
Countries and schools with which we have bilateral agreements within the scope of the Erasmus Student Exchange Program: Netherlands Amsterdam University Department of Nutrition and Dietetics Portugal Lisbon University Department of Nutrition and Dietetics We have a non-Erasmus bilateral agreement with the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Bern, Switzerland. Universities that we have bilateral agreements with Farabi Student Exchange Program: Ankara Gazi University Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Dieticians work wherever there is a nutrition service to maintain health in all age groups in Europe and internationally.
- Dieticians develop and implement dietary recommendations to treat illnesses and maintain health.
- Dieticians can maintain health, establish nutritional policies at the community level and in community nutrition.
- Dietetics is based on the science of nutrition. They are involved in improving individuals' and groups' health by minimizing the nutritional composition information, the structure of nutrients and their metabolism in the body, people's nutritional needs throughout the life cycle, the effects of nutrients on health, and the risk of food disease.
- The dietician's field of duty is a wide range of subjects ranging from natural and clinical sciences to social sciences.
- With the increasing need for more specific knowledge and skills for dieticians to work in interconnected areas, their knowledge and skills are fundamental in nutritional sciences' therapeutic practices. a) Dietician is a person with competence in Nutrition and Dietetics recognized by national authorities. b) Dietician applies the program's science for the nutrition and education of individuals or groups in disease and health. c) Dietitians can work in various settings according to the dietetic practice area, and they have different working functions. Benchmark Statement specifies three special areas defined by EFAD in Dietetics applications in Europe. These are: Director Dietician: A dietician responsible for providing quality and adequate nutrition of individuals or groups in health and disease in institutions and organizations where institutional nutrition is provided and primarily works and focuses on food and beverage service management. Clinical Dietician: A dietitian responsible for the planning, education, supervision, and evaluation of the clinically determined eating pattern to improve the patient's functional nutrition health. Clinical dietitians can work in primary health care institutions and other institutions. Public Health or Community Dietitian: A dietitian directly involved in policymaking and health promotion to improve food selection to improve or maintain individuals' or groups' nutritional health and reduce dietary disease risk. All dietitians understand and explain the nutritional needs of individuals or groups, regardless of their specific areas. Dietetics practitioners obtain information about individual customers or groups' dietary consumption, interpret and translate them, evaluate their nutritional requirements, research, and apply practical suggestions about food intake using different disciplines. Dietitians must work within ethical and legal boundaries and with high responsibility within their work areas such as healthcare institutions, private offices, public and private institutions, food industry, public and private institutions, education, or research.
Educational Objectives 1) Applying nutritional consultancy, education and treatment in the protection and development of the health of individuals and society at every stage of life 2) Respecting national and international law and values, 3) Adhering to professional ethical rules and adopting multidisciplinary work, 4) To train a "DIETITIAN" who constantly renews himself / herself with up-to-date information and approaches the problems he / she faces in a solution-oriented manner.
Horizontal- Vertical Transfer Commission Assis. Prof. Dr. Alper TOKAY Lect. Dr. Zeynep UZDİL Res. Assis. Dr. Sedanur MACİT
License Completion Commission Assoc. Prof. Dr. Pınar SÖKÜLMEZ KAYA Assis. Prof. Dr. Umut AYKUT Assis. Prof. Dr. Yasemin ERTAŞ ÖZTÜRK Assis. Prof. Dr. Mehtap ÜNLÜ SÖĞÜT
Department Web Page Commission Assis. Prof. Dr. Umut AYKUT Assis. Prof. Dr. Alper TOKAY Assis. Prof. Dr. Yasemin ERTAŞ ÖZTÜRK
Self-Evaluation Commission Assoc. Prof. Dr. Pınar Sökülmez KAYA Assis. Prof. Dr. Yasemin ERTAŞ ÖZTÜRK Lect. Dr. Canan ASAL ULUS
Education and Training Commission Assis. Prof. Dr. Yasemin ERTAŞ ÖZTÜRK Lect. Dr. Canan ASAL ULUS Lect. Dr. Zeynep UZDİL Res. Assis. Dr. Dr. Sedanur MACİT